by Marian Schiefer Vance
Published 2006, Softbound, Illustrated, 128 pp.
Bucyrus, famous for its bratwurst and its hand-hammered copper kettles, was settled in 1817. The name Bucyrus is derived from two words, “beautiful” and “Cyrus,” a king of Persia. In 1913, the Lincoln Highway (America’s first transcontinental road) was built through Bucyrus. It was traversed by bootleggers during Prohibition, and some buildings and streets in town even had underground escape routes. Bucyrus is full of beautiful historic homes and buildings, many of which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is a city of industry, home to Timken Roller Bearing Company, maker of bearings for over 100 years and also the maker of powerboats, rubber hoses, mining machinery, and plows.